Monday, January 17, 2011

Hello Deer!

The wind has been howling 3 days and nights in a row - 72 hours straight. It comes through cracks in the walls and around windows of my 60-year old house - like a banshee, it howls down my chimney piercing the peace and quiet of my living room and my mind.

Fourteen deer are in my yard - ten of them laying down, chewing their cuds as if the wind isn't blowing the snow to New Mexico. Three distinct groups of does with fawns plus three bucks. For the last month one of the bucks has been limping on a front foot -but he looks healthy so hopefully he will make it through the winter.

Nearly 100 elk passed by on the hill behind my house this morning when the sun was still pink in the sky.  One good thing about the wind is that it blows the snow off the ground keeping areas open for elk and deer to browse so I'll try not to hate it so much.  (Ok, that's a lie - I HATE continual wind)

It's time to carry water up to the horses so I have to bundle up and do my chores. Wish I could be as enthusiastic as my German shepherd, Cheyenne who is dancing with glee about going out in the snow and cold to visit the horses. But then, she isn't carrying six gallons of water up an icy slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment