Monday, January 10, 2011

My Blues have flown away with the old year

A new year brings new expectations and dreams - to self publish my children's picture book about my poodle mix Kody's friendship with "his" horse who he rides every day. I'm working with an illustrator and as soon as she completes the illustrations, I plan to go forward.

I've started meeting with a group of women writers in Boulder - though several are young enough to be my daughter, I'm enjoying the cross generational friendships and it is pushing me to write more.

Mustang, my 27-year old horse has good and bad days - Ever since last May when he suffered a stroke there are days he stands in the middle of the arena unable to remember the way to the hay tub in the barn.
Even after I halter and lead him to it he doesn't start eating until I put his nose in the tub.  I hope he has at least one more summer.

We got four inches of snow last night which isn't so bad but now the wind is whipping it into drifts so that I may not be able to get out my driveway - makes it tough hauling water to the horses and keeping a 60-year old house warm with all the cracks around doors and windows. Oh, did I mention, the temperature is minus ten degrees??  Last week when it got that cold the electricity went out for 4 hours -- so I got a fire roaring in the fireplace, put candles everywhere, listened to a battery radio and was able to keep warm enough. ..keeping my fingers crossed that the electricity doesn't go out tonight when it is supposed to be the coldest night of the winter - so far.

Lots of deer hanging around drinking out of the horse's heated water buckets - one buck has been limping on one of his front legs - hope he makes it.  I watched 3 does chase a coyote - the deer are afraid of coyotes when snow freezes into hard drifts but when weather isn't worrying them, they chase the coyotes. What a spectacle.  Sixty elk came through my place yesterday -  I like the elk but favor the deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment