Saturday, July 2, 2011

Marketing The Mutt & the Mustang picture book

Marketing my new children's picture book, The Mutt & the Mustang has been keeping me very busy - so far I have gotten it in 22 stores - from museum gift shops to dude ranches to horse rescues to western stores and book stores plus a distributor contacted me about repping it as a corporation who buys for several national and state park gift stores wants to buy it through them.  I hardly make anything per a book after the distributor takes a percent on top of the store's percent (and makes me pay for postage to ship the books to them) but its a way of getting my books out there.
Besides, it will be wonderful to have my picture books in national park gift stores.

My book is in stores in Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, South Dakota and one horse rescue in California.
Next, I need to start working on getting it in stores in other states.....The book has only been out less than two weeks so I should give myself some slack but if it's going to succeed I have to work my butt off.
I'm starting to think writing it was the easiest part.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to have Mutt books available at a fundraiser at the Elkhorn Lodge for a non profit group that hopes to preserve the Elkhorn - the oldest lodge in Colorado -and its 68 acres which a developer has talked the town into helping them go after state funds to turn the site into commercial space - including  condos, parking lots, retail shops and a ski run!!!

Estes Park is NOT a ski town - the high altitude sun melts the snow so if they do put in a ski run I've heard they are going to have to take water from the river to make snow --- an environmental waste! Plus real skiers are going to continue to go to the ski towns on the other side of the Continental Divide where they get tons of snow that stays on the slopes all winter long - not a small run in Estes.  

Tourists are drawn to Estes Park because it adjoins Rocky Mtn National Park where they can view elk, deer, big horn sheep and coyotes- not to see more condos, retail shops and children's playgrounds. ....but as usual dollars speak louder than deer, elk and bear and other wildlife that use part of the Elkhorn acreage ---city fathers are forever after more sales tax and property tax dollars so they can spend it on such "needed" projects as $2 million plus to redo a city park that isn't a block big --- I had tears in my eyes when they cut down several beautiful 100-year old pine trees in the park then replanted small trees --- boy the town sure needed that.

Anyway, it should be fun showing my picture book about my little dog who rides "his" horse every day to folks coming to the Elkhorn to listen western music, explore the old cabins, eat chuckwagon fare and ride horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment