Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hot Java moves to the ranch

Last night my friend Lori brought her beautiful four year old black gaited horse named Java to board here for the summer, pissing Mustang off.

Kept in adjoining but separate corrals whenever the two horses sniff noses across the fence Mustang tries to bite the intruder - then Java swings around kicking both hind legs at my horse.  Whenever Rio, my paint horse who is kept in the same corral as Mustang tries to sniff Java's nose, Mustang runs him off. Mustang makes it quite clear that Rio belongs in his herd.

A little more work to keep Java separated from my horses yet give them all hours in larger pastures. Hopefully, they will eventually learn to get along.

When I first got Rio, who had been starved - I thought Mustang who had alone would welcome another horse. However, Mustang chased Rio around the arena, cornered him then bit his butt until it bled...which I don't want to happen to Lori's horse.
Eventually, Rio and Mustang became buddies but it took several weeks.  I think Rio who is low in the pecking order would get along with Java so when the weather warms up Lori and I plan to work the two horses together.

I took Kody up to meet Java, my horse loving dog immediately licked his nose. Java shook his head then stepped back.

A coyote has been coming through my acreage on a daily basis -- which means I have to watch Cheyenne and Kody when they are playing in the arena. Yesterday, while I was paying more attention to Lori than my dogs the coyote ran by and my dogs took after it!  Good thing Cheyenne has a bad hip because that was the only thing that stopped her from chasing the coyote.  I love coyotes - and need them to keep the ground squirrel population in check but I shall have to be more vigilant watching my dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment