Wednesday, May 11, 2011

snow, sore joints and cats

This spring time in the Rockies is frustrating - here it is May 11 and Estes Park gets dumped on with 5 inches of wet snow - my third plantings of pansies are now on their way out. We have had more snow this spring than we had all winter.

This morning, my shepherd Cheyenne who loves the snow ran Kody around the arena several times - which is unusual because one of her hind legs has been bothering her so she hasn't felt like walking, never mind running - but then this evening she started limping.  I've sent for some special herbs that are supposed to "fix" dog joints within ten days - we'll see if that works or not.  As she already has a six inch metal plate in one back leg I'm not ready to go that route again.....not only the several thousand dollar cost of the surgery but it was a horrible experience for Cheyenne to go through.  If the herbs don't work I shall ask the vet for pain medication. She is only 5 years old but her hind quarters have never been sturdy -

Skye, my Siamese mix with blue eyes is finally getting more loving toward me- Since I adopted Skye as an adult, I don't know her history only that she enjoys playing with Cloud, my one-eyed white cat and loves both Kody and Cheyenne but is terrified of every person except  me. It has taken two years for Skye to come sit in my lap of her own accord - tho she likes me enough to sit next to my computer while I'm working.
 Cloud, my one-eyed white cat who I also adopted as an adult plays with Skye, loves Cheyenne and lets Kody hump her but was also afraid of me - Finally, Cloud lets me hold her but she is nervous about it.
Damn the people who made these two wonderous beautiful cats so fearful of humans!  

Last year when Skye was outside in the fenced yard she would constantly escape - I could not keep her inside the yard no matter how high the fence -  this year Skye has been content to stay in the yard. In fact, I am now so confidant of her staying that I have taken down the extreme fencing which didn't keep her in anyway.
Maybe Skye finally accepts this place as home.   Cloud never tried to escape - she knew a good home right from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment